Automated Systems of Tacoma (AST) is a technology leader specializing in advanced aseptic filling and closing systems. Our focus is to provide innovative and flexible products that satisfy the most challenging product and regulatory requirements for the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries. AST's spectrum of products includes semi-automated to completely automated and integrated cGMP manufacturing systems for processing vials, syringes and cartridges.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will support AST's business and provide hands-on technical leadership in concept through implementation of complex automated systems and machines.
* Define complete mechanical systems, drawing packages, and bill of materials
* Develop system designs using 3D software per project requirements
* Provide technical expertise to department and mentor other engineers
* Perform engineering calculations and evaluations
* Organize and perform machine testing and development
* Participate in systems installation activities at customer facilities
* Provide customer-facing technical expertise in response to critical client escalations
* Provide advancement of technical expertise within department though mentorship of other engineers and drive continuous improvement of department technical skills and quality
* Develop departmental multi-platform expertise in line with international industry preferences
* Provide departmental direction in resource management, planning, budgeting, quoting and scheduling
* Partner with Team Leaders and Engineering Manager to drive mechanical engineering strategy, skills development, recruiting and team building
* National and international travel required.
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering required; current Washington State PE or advanced technical degree a plus
* 10+ years’ experience in industrial machine design and testing
* Proficient using Inventor and AutoCAD or equivalent software
* Experience using solid modeling, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and motion analysis
* Provide technical expertise to department and mentor other engineers while meeting technical, schedule and budget targets
* Familiarity in working with an ISO quality plan and driving continuous improvement activities
* Demonstrated history of strong people and project management leadership in a dynamic work environment and working knowledge or all applicable industry standards and regulations.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Proficient using MS Office and Project
* Strong communication skills – both internally and externally with customers.
AST is proud of our team. Providing challenging and rewarding work, with opportunities for personal/professional development is our key to this longevity. AST is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a full-time position based in Tacoma. Compensation is competitive, including salary, bonus potential, health plan, and paid time off.