The Northwest Justice Project (NJP) is the largest publicly funded civil legal aid organization in Washington with 19 offices located throughout the state providing legal services to low income persons and their communities. NJP’s King County office seeks a full-time, experienced legal assistant to support attorneys working with a variety of civil legal issues affecting victims of crime in South King County. The work is primarily in family law but may include other areas such as housing law, public entitlements and consumer law.
This position is open to:
• Prepare and edit correspondence, legal pleadings and other documents independently and consistent with attorney/advocate instructions.
• Maintain legal files and records.
• Manage litigation and outreach calendars.
• Assist in filing pleadings, recording documents and arranging service of process.
• Assist in client communication, fact development, limited computer-assisted legal research and community outreach/education where appropriate.
• Coordinate client/ interpreter/attorney scheduling.
• Perform investigative work (research facts, gather discovery, access data bases etc.) as requested.
• Maintain a professional working relationship with our clients and the community.
• Clerical/administrative/other office tasks assigned.
• Demonstrated knowledge of King County Superior Court family law local rules and procedures.
• Experience with online filings systems in Superior and Federal courts.
• Experience working with mandatory family law forms.
• Working knowledge of federal, state and local rules and procedure.
• Possess good organizational/time management skills: successfully manage multiple duties/tasks, deadlines, and prioritize work.
• Demonstrated intermediate/advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook and be open to learning new software applications.
• Use and operate office machines such as copiers, scanners, etc. effectively.
• Be accurate and detail-oriented.
• Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrate cultural competence and sensitivity in working with diverse clients, communities, and colleagues.
• Ability to work within a team environment and to work independently.
NJP has an organizational commitment to fight racism and to incorporate equity and inclusion in both the work we do and work environment we create. All staff are expected to uphold this commitment and approach their role with a desire to learn and grow in this area.
Starting salary is based upon years of experience, with an annual pay range starting at $ 41,520. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes 100% paid employee health premiums and significant premium shares for family health premiums, as well as generous time off.
Hours of work: 9:00 – 5:00, Monday through Friday
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and current resume to: Karen Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email subject line should clearly reference “Legal Assistant – King County - Kent” position. Cover letter should include description of relevant experience including personal or professional engagement with low income and diverse communities.
Application deadline: August 30, 2019.
Learn more about NJP at www.nwjustice.org
The Northwest Justice Project is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices for its client communities, Board and staff. NJP actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity among people who are diverse in work background, experience, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religious preference, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, or any other perceived differences. This policy strengthens the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities