compensation: Competitive; depends on experience employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
The Freight Trucking Dispatcher is responsible for scheduling drivers to make deliveries and pick up packages or shipments. As part of the logistics department, this position will work closely with the internal company sales and operations departments as well as communicating with customers and distribution centers in order to record details about shipments, arrange pick up times and discuss any special handling issues. This position will set up driver routes, as well as review drivers’ logs and maintain various records, such as those pertaining to dispatched calls, vehicle repair, freight bills, and arrival times. This is a regular fulltime position that reports to the VA Terminal Manager with a dotted line to the Director of Logistics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide customer service to each customer/location.
• Coordinate, confirm and dispatch all loads.
• Manage productivity of your fleet, taking into consideration strict Department of Transportation (DOT) Hours of Service regulations.
• Efficiently manage fleet maintenance program, including routine scheduled and as needed vehicle maintenance.
• Ensure all freight costs and carrier information is entered accurately and in a timely manner to assist in managing the payroll and billing process.
• Professionally handle and manage any and all issues raised by Drivers and Owner/Operators.
• Manage availability of Drivers, Owner/Operators, and equipment to maximize efficient utilization, to influence cost saving opportunities and to exceed customer expectations.
• Promote and support all safety initiatives when performing roles and responsibilities. Ensure that all Drivers, Owner/Operators and Machine Operators understand company policies.
• May be required to work weekends and/or on-call.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skill and experience required:
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Strong time management abilities and the proven ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities in quickly changing situations.
• Aptitude for problem solving and troubleshooting.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills, and ability to communicate well with a diverse audience.
• Ability to work efficiently in a high-stress, fast-paced environment.
• Solid computer skills. Including strong proficiency in Microsoft Suite and previous Transportation Management System (TMS) experience is strongly preferred.
• Experience in the fishing/seafood industry preferred.
• Previous work experience in the transportation industry preferred.
• This position is based in a terminal office environment located in the greater Tacoma area of Washington and will require prompt and reliable attendance into the office during core business hours as face time in the office is a key company value. This position will also require extended hours (mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.) in order to meet business needs.