compensation: one month unpaid learning opportunity employment type: part-time internship
QR Code Link to This Post
Internship at Seriously Happy Homes (happystartsathome.com).
NOTE - If this ad is still up that means we are still searching for our next Seriously Happy intern! Once the position has been filled the ad will be taken down.
Are you eager to work for a small residential interior design company that helps *real people* have *happy homes?* Are you naturally efficient, friendly, confident, stylish, and approachable? Do you thrive on variety and *hate* being bored? …read on!
Our Intern & Apprenticeship program is a two-part program meant to help talented and enthusiastic new designers peek behind the curtain at a real-life design firm and prepare to start their interior design career. 😁
The first part of the program is a one-month unpaid internship. During this time you’ll shadow as many client meetings as possible, and also practice your design skills by working on past Seriously Happy Homes designs. You will get feedback on your designs and also have one-on-one time with our Design Director and the Owner to address your questions and pop-quiz your knowledge around the kinds of questions we answer during Quick Action Sessions. You’ll also experiment with turning the design work into juicy content for social media and other marketing.
The first goal of the internship is to give insight into available Seattle area design resources, how to work with clients, and what it takes to be part of a small design company. The second goal is to give the Intern a chance to demonstrate their skills and be considered for our Apprenticeship program.
After the one-month internship we complete an evaluation of your skills, highlighting any recommended areas of growth, and documenting your strengths and skills. At the end of the internship we also evaluate your readiness and fit for our Apprenticeship.
The second part of the program is a two-month paid apprenticeship. Only the most talented, efficient, and self-directed interns proceed into phase two, becoming an official member of our team as an Apprentice Designer for the next two months! During the apprenticeship you continue to shadow meetings, but now instead of working on past projects, you’ll be directly assisting our team designers on active projects. 🤓
Required Qualifications for Internship:
- At least 5 years 'real life' work experience - does *not* have to be design-related, but if it’s not design-related, tell us how your work-experience supports this new career :)
- Friendly, efficient, and approachable personality: are you able to develop instant rapport with strangers?
- A desire to help people uncover and create *their* design vision (not ours)
- Exceptional written communication: do you naturally share important information in simple and positive language?
- Exceptional oral communication: are you naturally articulate, confident, cheerful and friendly?
- Self-directed organizational skills: there are sooo many deadlines in our industry, can you juggle them effectively?
- You *must* have a personal vehicle so you can easily show up to client meetings and pick up/drop off design samples
- High level of comfort learning and using computer-driven applications (we use Apple computers, Pages, Home Designer Pro, and the Google Suite)
- Familiarity with a design program like Home Designer (that’s what we use), Chief Architect, Revit, Sketch Up, etc…
- Knowledge of Mac and Apple programs (Pages)
- Recent or soon-to-be graduate in interior design program (happy to meet requirements of school credit if needed)
Approximately 20 hours per week for Phase 1, starts immediately upon finding the right candidate
Office is just west of Greenlake. Schedule will vary depending on client meetings. Schedule is flexible, but you *must* be available on Saturdays (we meet with clients Tuesday to Saturday 9-5). Note - the more available you are to shadow, the more you will gain from this Internship!
Excited to apply?! Please write a statement of interest and include your resume as a pdf attachment. You *must* send a cover letter or statement of interest, and it should show your ability to write effectively and explain why you are interested in this position. Resumes without a personalized cover letter/statement of interest will be deleted without review.
Your first interview with us will be by Zoom. If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to first send a houzz.com Ideabook showing ten rooms that inspire you with a note on each image as to why you like it, and a Pinterest board showing us what would be a perfect room for you.
We look forward to meeting our next Intern! 😀
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers