Do you want to be at the heart of engaging our community to end hunger in Western Washington? Do you love building relationships with and supporting volunteers? Do you love doing hands on work that makes you feel like you really accomplishing something at the end of each day? If so, our Volunteer Repack Coordinator role is your dream position!
As a Volunteer Repack Coordinator you'll serve as an ambassador of Food Lifeline by working on the front lines of our food distribution, processing, and repacking by leading over 10,000 volunteers each year who enable Food Lifeline to fulfill our mission of ending hunger in our community. You must love both engaging with large groups of people and building one-on-one relationships. You'll work in our amazing fast paced warehouse at the Hunger Solution Center in the South Park neighborhood. If you enjoy connecting with volunteers, colleagues, and community while also maintaining excellent standards of food safety and handling, and doing physical hands on work -- we want to hear from you!
The Volunteer Repack Coordinator will:
Operation of warehouse equipment, such as forklift, and pallet jacks.
Maintain a clean organized warehouse environment that is in compliance with food safety standards.
Plan and set up repack activities and supplies for our volunteers.
Provide excellent customer service by engaging with volunteers to build relationships, community, and a sense of community.
Create a positive fulfilling experience for volunteers.
Educate volunteers on safe food handling practices and introduce them to Food Lifeline's mission to end hunger in Western Washington.
Who are you?
You are a hands on person.
You have food handling or warehouse experience.
You have a passion for engaging with volunteers.
You are an effective communicator.
You are a people person.
You are flexible.
Ready to join Food Lifeline? Apply now!
To join our team as a Volunteer Coordinator, please read the full job description and apply electronically. Complete applications must include a resume and cover letter and this posting will remain open until filled.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and seek to bring our values of diversity and inclusion to our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our organization.
General Position Summary for Volunteer Repack Coordinator:
This position plans and coordinates repack of donated items by directing activities of volunteers. Position orients, trains, gives direction to and keeps volunteers safe and on task during repack activities. Ensures that volunteers know and adhere to safe food handling practices, production objectives and quality standards.
Essential Warehouse and Volunteer Functions/ Major Responsibilities:
• Orients, trains and directs groups of volunteers during repack activities; ensures volunteers are aware of safe food handling procedures, repack standards and that they wear required food handling gear.
• Creates positive experience for volunteers.
• Plans and sets-up for volunteer repack activities and supplies.
• Weighs, palletizes, tallies, ensures quality of and prepares for transfer of products repacked by volunteers.
• Cleans, organizes and maintains warehouse areas in compliance with food safety standards.
• Operates forklifts, pallet jacks and other mechanical warehouse equipment.
• Supports other teams with special events that could include food drives, fundraising events, annual agency conference, etc.
• Participates in quarterly inventory counts.
• Assists in receiving food deliveries and the necessary paperwork/forms to record receipt of product.
• Updates and maintains current product recall information that is accessible to volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Has recurring work situations with occasional variations for the norm.
• Has a low-medium level of work complexity.
• Operates from established and well known procedures, with opportunities to modify procedures based on experiences.
• Performs work under moderate supervision.
• Decisions are made within prescribed operating guidelines and procedures.
• Responsibility for planning: Informally makes operational planning recommendations for department/functional area.
• Supervisory Responsibility: No supervisory responsibility.
Contact is primarily external and is non-controversial.
• Non-customers 10%
• Customers 90%
• In Person 85%
• Telephone 5%
• Email 10%
Specific Job Skills:
• Knowledge of Food Lifeline's history and mission.
• Knowledge of food product handling techniques.
• Knowledge of warehouse practices, documentation, and storage techniques.
• Knowledge of safety regulations and practices.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages.
• Ability to train in a small to large group situation.
• Ability to supervise volunteers in a positive manner, using tact and patience.
• Ability to work with children/youth volunteers.
• Ability to work as member of a team.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
• Ability to operate hand trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts and other mechanized warehouse equipment.
Education and/or Experience:
• High school education or GED required.
• Prior warehouse experience preferred, but not required. Experience handling food products helpful.
• Prior experience operating warehouse equipment, including forklift, pallet jack and order pickers preferred, but not required. Must possess or have ability to obtain forklift certification within 30 days of hire.
• An equivalent combination of education and/or training and/or experience may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
• Required to possess a State of Washington Food Handler's Permit, or to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
• Ability to pass background check including criminal investigation to ensure ability to work with or around children/youth.
The Volunteer Repack Coordinator works in a warehouse environment around moving power and manual equipment, including order pickers with elevated work platforms. Position is subject to extreme temperature changes, and the warehouse is not heated, and includes work in both a cooler and freezer environment. Subject to typical warehouse noise level, and/or noise of multiple people speaking simultaneously. Work areas may be cramped. Requires working closely with others and dealing with multiple questions or demands with patience and tact. Requires the ability to keep volunteers, including children/youth, engaged, on task and in compliance with warehouse rules and safety standards.
Work is performed in warehouse setting with adequate ventilation, lighting, and heat, but daily tasks require entering into walk in coolers and freezers with extreme cold. Position requires operation of forklift, order pickers and pallet jacks, often in congested areas and to load semi-trailers. Position has continuous exposure to packaged and unpackaged food items. Position requires continuous walking, standing, bending, stooping, climbing, kneeling, feeling, reaching, grasping and handling of product. Position requires repetitive motion of hands, wrists and feet. Position requires continuous talking, sometimes with a loud voice. Job requires the ability to routinely lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers