compensation: $17.00 to $18.00 an hour DOE employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Love working in a kitchen and want to be the change you wish to see in the world?
OSL is looking for 5 chefs or cooks that have minimum of three to five years' experience in large batch and creative cooking.
Starting wage is $17 plus (DOE) (annual COLA and merit increases), plus a generous leave package, up to $100 monthly for transportation reimbursement (bus pass, parking, fuel, and starts right away), and a monthly medical stipend after 6 months’ employment.
OSL is a non-profit working to make our mission “Nutritional Excellence: a right we are born to, not a privilege we earn” a reality for those struggling with hunger in Seattle and King County.
OSL began 30 years ago as a part of the solution to feed people who were otherwise digging through garbage cans for food. We’ve now grown to 5, busy, fast-paced kitchens, with a dedicated staff preparing meals for more than 50 social service programs; a linchpin in the emergency meal system. OSL is an organization on the cutting edge of food rescue, and is instrumental in building an equitable food system in Seattle and King County.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements:
• Strong work ethic
• Experience working in a fast-paced kitchen environment
• Comfortable producing 60+ main course options independently without supervision or instruction
• Knowledge of scratch cooking including, gravy, béchamel, marinara, dressings, casseroles, stews, pasta dishes and several ways to cook chicken, beef, and fish
• Understanding of organic vs. conventionally grown ingredients, is helpful
• Understanding of nutritional density and meeting the daily nutritional requirements
• An ethical, amiable, and patient personality
• Committed interest in working for populations struggling with homelessness, mental illness, displacement, etc.
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds repetitively.
• Current Food Handler’s card.
• Eye for cleanliness and the ability to participate in kitchen upkeep; cleaning, dish pit, sanitizing.
• Driver's license with a clean driving record
A strong candidate has:
• Excellent communication skills: ability to communicate respectfully and non-aggressively, problem solve and engage critically with other staff members
• Excellent time management
• The ability to work well and cooperatively on a team, as well as independently
• The ability to take direction
• The ability to work with large numbers of volunteers of all ages, including minor volunteers
• Math skills
• A desire to make a difference in the world
OSL maintains a drug and alcohol-free workplace. We pay an equitable wage with benefits. OSL is an equal opportunity employer; we value diversity. All are encouraged to apply.
Please respond with a resume, cover letter and share about your own experience helping those in need, your desire to work with populations struggling with hunger or about your commitment to making the world a better place.
RESUMES WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW. REFERENCES NEEDED FOR FINAL CANDIDATES.
Please check us out at www.oslserves.org before submitting a resume. Thank you!
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers