Job Summary: The live goods sales and stocking team member provides excellent service to our customers, offers friendly, informative, and insightful inspiration, and maintains plant stock levels and maintenance on the sales floor. Their goal is to make each customer feel welcome, exceed their expectations upon every visit, and keep plant tables and displays fully stocked, watered and maintained as directed by their Manager or Lead. The key to success in this role is to utilize and share knowledge of plants and gardening in a selling environment, offer complete solutions to make sure every customer goes home with everything they need to be successful in their gardens and homes, and to maintain a full, abundant, clean and well organized sales floor. Reports to Live Goods Department Manager and also takes direction from Live Goods Floor Leads.
QR Code Link to This Post
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Welcome all customers with a smile, an engaging greeting, and provide outstanding Customer Service.
• Listen Effectively and qualify your customer, understand and respond to their questions at their level of understanding, and educate them with suggestions, solutions and advice that will Inspire them to be successful in their gardening, in order to help them grow as a gardener and as a customer.
• Efficiently stock and merchandise tables and displays, water and maintain plants, perform general cleaning duties, and special projects in a prompt manner, as directed by Manager or Floor Lead.
• Work with Customers to identify their plants and plant diseases and other plant conditions. Suggest solutions in way of proper growing conditions, specific plant needs in varying seasons, supplemental care product and tools, and accompanying plants.
• Respond to pages, phones & radio calls promptly and politely, while adhering to proper communication etiquette, while still providing outstanding Customer Service clientele in the store.
• Act with enthusiasm and a strong sense of urgency in a fast-paced retail team environment.
• Demonstrate Teamwork, flexibility, and the ability to work independently with a strong sense of urgency.
• Perform product seminars to customer groups as designated by Manager.
• Understand Molbak’s return policy and the resources available to offer solutions.
• Demonstrate the initiative and desire to learn general knowledge of Molbak’s plants and their care.
• Learn to emulate vision of the visual department to maintain, re-stock and re-create visual presentations.
• Ensure appropriate signage is posted properly for all plants.
• Operate heavy machinery in a safe, efficient manner, including forklifts, pallet jacks, tractors, and other vehicles, (training available).
• Understand and use proper lifting and moving techniques, and follow all safety regulations when on the job, especially when operating heavy machinery.
• Assist in seasonal projects, including potting and growing bare root plants, Christmas trees and other seasonal displays.
• Communicate with our Customers promptly, clearly and thoroughly
• Complete all paperwork and other administrative duties in a timely, accurate and thorough manner.
• Attend and participate in departmental meetings.
• Consistent attendance required.
• Other duties assigned by Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to help multiple customers simultaneously and able to transition from one task to another with ease and efficiency, and to always perform tasks with a keen eye to Customers and servicing their needs first and foremost.
• Knowledge and ability to respond to and educate customers regarding horticultural issues through identification of plants, disease, or cultural issues, and offer solutions and advice for more successful future growth, and suggesting products and plants which may enhance their plants and gardens.
• Knowledge of Indoor house plants and their overall care and maintenance.
• Plant merchandising, care and maintenance experience preferred.
• Able to work, standing, walking, bending, moving, or lifting up to 100% of the day.
• Must be able to lift at least 25lbs throughout the day and occasionally up to 50lbs. When lifting heavy objects/items, it is expected that the associate will utilize the assistance of other teammates or tools such as hand trucks, pot lifters, and pallet jacks in order to lift items safely.
• Training or experience providing outstanding Customer Service to the public.
• Washington Certified Professional Horticulturalist or Master Gardener certification preferred.
• Solid knowledge of Puget Sound horticultural and gardening practices as it relates to nursery plants, woody ornamentals, perennials and/or annuals, as well as insects and diseases, is preferred.
• Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management and the proven and legal control measures for insects, diseases and weeds is preferred.
• Able to work outside in day and evening, with exposure to extremes of weather and temperature in varying levels of precipitation.
*Desire to live the brand, support the culture, and maintain a high level of energy & enthusiasm.
Policy: Comply with all company guidelines.
This job description is only a summary of typical functions and is not a complete list of possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.